Looking to extend or make improvements to your home? Maybe you’re considering building your own property?


Whilst planning permission is about how a building looks and how it affects others, building regulations make sure all construction work is structurally sound, safe, energy efficient and offers a healthy environment. You will need to ensure that your proposed building works comply with the Building Regulations as a statutory requirement, separate from planning. We can approve your plans and provide site inspections and issue you with a final building completion certificate. Watch our LABC video explaining Building Control.

Bear House, Ashwell     Credited to Freeland Rees Roberts

Hertfordshire Building Control is ready to help lead you through this process to ensure that your building is compliant with Building Regulations and to protect your interests.  You should be aware that some builders and architects find it convenient to choose the building control service provider.   We believe that this should be a decision for the building owner, the person who is paying the fees.  You will want to ensure that the architect and the builder have designed and built the project in compliance with Building Regulations.  You can only ensure this if your building control provider is independent.

Our surveyors give you impartial advice, and because we’re a not-for-profit organisation we only charge you the cost of delivering that service on your project. Our surveyors are local people who know your location, the ground and the building history. They'll work with your designer and contractor helping them to save you time and money and give you peace of mind. We make it easy for you to move quickly and easily through the building regulations process to realise your project.

To check whether your project requires building control approval check our FAQ's page here:

Or call us on 01438 879990 and we will be happy to advise you.

Useful Videos and E-book

Please see our latest eBook: Hertfordshire Building Control LABC Guide to Extending Your Home. It provides information on planning, budgeting and implementing your home project in Hertfordshire. 

Types of Application

Full Plans Application – Suitable for all work.  Submit application form, plans and fee payment. Submitted plans (detailed drawings, specifications and in some cases structural design calculations) are checked for compliance with Building Regulations, giving you peace of mind as you will be working to approved drawings. All non domestic work must be covered by a Full Plans application.

Building Notice Application – Suitable for all small domestic works providing you are not building over or within 3m of a public sewer, or building a new dwelling which fronts onto a private road. If you are in any doubt, please contact your local water authority for further clarification. Builders must be fully conversant with Building Regulations, and note that plans are not formally checked. Therefore if non-compliant work becomes apparant once work is being carried out this could necessiate remedial works.

Whichever application type is submitted, work will be checked on site at various stages. Upon completion of works, a certificate is issued which will be needed when the property is sold.

Regularisation Application – used for applying for retrospective Building Regulations approval without a previous application. Only works commenced since 1985 can be regularised.

Tell us about your building project

Let us help you get your building project finalised and built with passion!

Fields marked with an * are required



Please, let us know the best time to contact you by phone (if provided).