Contact Us

01438 879990

Monday–Friday 8am-5:30pm

Hertfordshire Building Control
4th Floor
Campus West
Welwyn Garden City
Hertfordshire, AL8 6BX

Our office is open: 
Mon to Fri from 8am to 5:30pm

Send us your project details from here and we will get back to you.


Our fees are shown via our application portal.
*Our fees and charges are increasing from 1 April 2019. 
A full table of charges are available for scrutiny at our registered offices at Campus West


Online Applications Here

Please clearly mention any relevant details in your application so we can get back to you with an answer as quickly as possible.  To place an online application please visit our dedicated applications portal here:


Personal Search Agents

From Monday 11th March, 2019 there is a charge for using the online search portal. The process works on the purchase of credits that are used for individual purchases. The more credits that are purchased, the less the cost per search. The table of charges is below: 

1 – 49 searches = £7.50 for 5 searches
50 – 99 searches = £7.25 for  5 searches
100+ searches = £7.00 for 5 searches

If you are a new user please register on the portal and you will be taken through the payments process. You will require a debit or credit card to make the payment.

The system remembers how many credits you have purchased and will carry forward the balance unused for the next time you log in.

We recommend that to maximize the probability of you finding the property you require you start with the street name.  This will maximize the number of returns, and you can filter down the results without using up further credits, until you find the property you require. 

This payable services allows for a timely and immediate search query.

The alternative process is to submit an FOI or EIR request.  These must be submitted to the relevant Local Authority FOI/EIR Officer.  Once the application has been received and passed on to us, you will be contacted by Hertfordshire Building Control and offered an appointment to come to our offices in Campus West.  We provide a laptop for you to perform a search yourself free of charge .  This process is likely to take several days before we have an available appointment.  We will not accept any applications except via the FOI/EIR Officer and you must have a valid appointment.  Only one hour appointments are available.  This service is free of charge.


PDF Application Forms

To use these forms:  Download the PDF form to your computer - make sure you save the file locally before you start filling it in.   Now open the PDF from your computer hard drive - fill your details into the relevant boxes and save the form.  When you save the form it can be handy if you add your name to file name so we can quickly identify your sent file.

  1. Download the form and save locally
  2. Fill in your details with any PDF editor
  3. Save the file (add your name to the filename)
  4. Email the form to us here

Building Notices PDF Form

Building Notice - This form of application is more suited to small basic schemes where the applicant and builder are fully conversant with the applicable Building Regulations requirements. To lodge the application you only need to submit the application form, the appropriate fee and in some cases a site location plan. Whilst a convenient and fast method of application it has the disadvantage that we do not formally check plans and specifications for compliance in advance of the work being carried out. Consequently there is a risk that we will only discover non-compliant work when we carry out our site inspections and this can necessitate expensive remedial works.

In some cases our Surveyors will need to ask for plans, specifications and structural calculations to provide a record of the construction and demonstrate compliance while the work is being carried out.

A Full Plans application avoids this risk giving you a reassurance that you can safely build in accordance with a checked and approved design

Full Plans Application / Submission PDF Form

Full Plans Application / Submission - With a Full Plans application you need to submit detailed drawings, specifications and (in some cases) structural design calculations with your application form and fee payment. We check these for compliance and contact you if we need any amendments or further information before issuing an approval.

You can confidently build to approved details in the knowledge that the work should be approved by our inspecting Surveyors unless there are previously unknown factors that come to light during the project.

Regularisation PDF Form

Regularisation - This is the method of applying for retrospective approval for work that has been carried out without Building Regulations approval. To be acceptable the applicant needs to include drawings (plans sections and elevations) and detailed specifications for the building work with the completed form and appropriate fee. This needs to, as far as possible, demonstrate that the work complies with the appropriate building regulations.

We recognise that some elements of the construction may be hidden from view so it is not possible to provide detailed information. On receipt of the application a Surveyor will check the information and arrange to visit the property. In many cases they will need to ask the applicant to expose part of the structure in order to satisfy themselves that it meets the minimum standards.

If we can establish that the work is compliant then we will issue a Regularisation Certificate to confirm that having taken reasonable steps to assess the work it appears to accord with the Building Regulations.       

Demolition of Buildings - To notify us of a demolition, please email the following details to

  • Full location of demolition site with site plan
  • Contact details of person submitting the application (including email address)
  • Person responsible for carrying out the demolition work
  • Proposed start date
  • Estimated duration of work

Note: a fee of £250.00 is applicable - Please confirm in your email who we should contact to collect this fee.

We don't want things to go wrong, but if they do and we can't rectify matters then please see the following appeal guide. The guide is intended for anyone proposing to carry out building work - including building/land owners, builders and professional advisers who may be acting as an agent - who is seeking to ensure that their work complies with the Building Regulations but where agreement cannot be reached with the building control body, i.e. a local authority or a private sector approved inspector (as applicable)

Please refer to our privacy policy for the full story on how we protect and manage your submitted data: 

General Data Protection Regulation Policy